First, let me say the birth of our twins was an amazing experience. If I could do it all over again I would.
It all began Tuesday afternoon. We went to my weekly doctor’s appointment at 4pm. I have been on bed rest for about 10 days at this point. So, I was ready to see if I had dilated any more and to find out what was going on and when we might meet our twins. It was a typical prenatal appointment. We found out I was still dilated to a 4, no change since last week. We scheduled my induction for Sunday, July 7th and at this point I really thought we were going to make it to induction day. I wanted to make it as long as I could, but I really didn’t want to be induced. I know Pitocin contraction are the worst and I would much rather go into labor on my own. There is nothing like going into labor on your own; the excitement and wonder. Tuesday evening after my appointment I had come to the conclusion that we would be induced. I figured I had made it 10 days at a 4 and my cervix was going to continue holding strong.
During this appointment we started to talk more about the delivery. Our doctors have known we wanted a vaginal delivery unless medically necessary. At this time Baby A (McKayla) was head down, very low, ready to go and Baby B (McKenzie) was transverse/sideways (under my ribs). Our doctors said that a vaginal delivery was more than possible. With the position McKenzie was in they thought she was more then likely to turn head down after Baby A comes out. Our doctor said even if Baby B doesn’t turn head down he would simply deliver her breech; no big deal. We are all still ready to deliver vaginally; which made me feel great.
After that appointment we had a regular evening with our older girls. I was still on bed rest until Thursday, 34 weeks, we wanted to keep our babies in a little bit longer. Well, we went to bed that evening thinking we would have a few more days and most likely make it to Sunday’s induction.
I had trouble sleeping that night, simply a lot on my mind. I was happy to still have our babies in my belly, but not happy thinking I was going to be induced. I hated the thought of electively giving birth early (even though it was medically necessary) to our girls. I really wanted our girls to decide when it was time to come into this world. I really wanted healthy, full term babies.
At about 2:30am I started having consistant contractions, but nothing too painful so I simply fluffed them off. “I mean I have been having contractions for months, I was just checked this afternoon and I had not progressed so these must be nothing.” Even though they weren’t painful they kept me awake for about an hour. I finally fell asleep at about 3:45am.
Then I was suddenly awaken at 4:10am by something running down my leg (I know TMI). I quickly jumped out of bed and ran to the bathroom to see if my water broke (with my first two pregnancies my water always had to be broken at the hospital so this was all new to me).
Sure enough my water had broken. Now what?!?!
I flipped the bathroom light on and said “Uh, babe my water broke I think we have to go or something”. I have never seen Steve jump out of bed so quickly before. He was so flustered, it was quite cute. Luckily, our bags have been packed for a couple weeks so we simply threw in some of our toiletries and were ready to go.
I immediately called my parents to get here to stay with the girls. My dad answers the phone I tell him my water broke, he says ok. I paused for a second and said so are you coming? He said of course. I find out later when the phone rang my mom jumped out of bed immediately and started to get her shoes on, she already knew. They live about 15-20 minutes away, but that night they made it here in 13 minutes. I guess when your daughter calls and says her water broke you hurry.
Right after calling my parents I called my doctor to fill him in on what was going on. He said to get to the hospital within the hour. But, I knew I simply wanted to get there ASAP. I knew with my first two pregnancies labor went quickly, very quickly. Seriously there was amniotic fluid just flowing out (TMI) and it was quite uncomfortable. At this point the contractions weren’t very painful, but I knew they would be coming.
We got to the hospital at about 5am. They took me to room 7 (right across from the OR where I would be delivering). They got me hooked up to the monitors to keep a close eye on the babies. The girls looked great and the contractions were coming every 5 minutes. Still pretty comfortable.
Dr. G came in at about 7am to see how we were doing and to check the babies on ultrasound. He wanted to see whose water broke and the positions of the girls. Baby A’s water broke (McKayla wanted out) and Baby B was still transverse. Dr. G said he was still confident that a vaginal delivery was going to be great. Of course, we asked a few questions about the possibility of having to have a C-section for Baby B. He said “both babies are coming out from down there even if Baby B comes out breech”. He went on to talk about how he has no problem delivering Baby B breech and I am a perfect candidate if it happens (since I have already delivered two babies vaginally). We took his word for it and decided to continue on the path of a vaginal delivery. I was excited and ready!!
Of course, I was ready to see were I was in dilation, but Dr. G said since we didn’t have my group b strep test back yet he didn’t want to check until I had medicine for it, in case I was positive. They treated me as if I was positive since we didn’t know (I just got the test taken the day before). I hated not knowing where I was in the labor process, but there was nothing I could do about it. He said since my water had broken he didn’t want to cause an infection, so we had to wait for the medication.
At this point I was still pretty comfortable. They were definitely getting stronger and closer together, but nothing over the top.
By 8am I was in quite a bit of pain; gripping the bed rails and all. The pain was starting to show in my face. The contractions were about 3 minutes apart which meant not much relief between them. This continued for about an hour. Steve kept saying I think it’s time to get the epidural. I told him I wanted to know how far a long I was before I do anything. However, the pain was getting pretty bad, I was starting to get miserable. But I still simply wanted to know where I was in the labor process.
Well, by 9am I was ready for the epidural even though we still didn’t know how dilated I was at that point. With a twin birth they highly encourage an epidural no matter what, just in case a C-section is needed or if they have to flip Baby B internally (quite painful). Steve called our nurse and told her I was ready for the epidural.
At 9:30am the epidural was in place and starting to work. The contractions were getting less and less painful.
Finally, at 10am Dr. G came in to see how far along I was (at this point I was feeling much better; thanks to the epidural). He checks me looks at our nurse and says she’s complete. I look at him and say “you mean I am a 10 ready to go?” He said yes, but since you are looking comfortable and not getting the urge to push yet I am going to deliver someone else and I will be right back. So, he walks out of our room and so does our nurse. I couldn’t believe how quickly everything had gone thus far. I feel like we just got the hospital.
I look at Steve at about 10:10am (seconds after the doctor and nurse leave) and say “these babies are coming right now you need to get someone in here or you are going to deliver these girls yourself”. He immediately calls our nurse and she gets everyone in the room. Meanwhile, I am doing everything I can to try to keep these babies in (shaking and holding my knees together, as best I could). McKayla wants out and she wants it now. So, I am shaking trying my hardest not to push. We still have to wheel my bed to the OR and Steve has to put on scrubs. They are seriously throwing scrubs at Steve as the nurse pushes my bed out the door (10:15am).
We get to the OR and it is a busy place filled with a lot of people. Dr. G tells me to push whenever I feel the urge, so it begins.
I push a few times and…..
McKayla is born at 10:20am (5 minutes after leaving our room).
Everything happened so fast that one of the labor nurses had to call the NICU and tell them Baby A is already out we need a nurse. There was a NICU doctor, but no nurse at that moment.
They have an ultrasound on Baby B and Dr. G has his hand on her to see which way she is going to turn. They brake her water and of course she flips feet first. Oh my! Dr. G looks at the nurse and well says she’s coming out feet first, like it is no big deal. He grabs her feet and pulls her down. Now he looks at me and says it’s time to push again. I begin to push and out she comes.
McKenzie was born at 10:27am.
Both girls were screaming and looked wonderful. McKayla looked very tiny, but healthy and McKenzie was small and healthy too. Steve and I looked at each other and said, “WE DID IT!”
Of course this moment was priceless. Steve and I were both crying.
I was able to hold both girls I can’t tell you how special that felt. After we had a few minutes with them they had to be taken to the NICU.
Quite frankly it all went a little too fast. I know most women would NEVER say that about labor, but with this one being my last I am truly going to miss giving birth. I love the entire process. This is all truly a miracle. We are so very blessed.
Thank you for sharing this wonderful journey with us!!