December is a busy month for many of us. Unfortunately, this is the time we tend to put our health and fitness on the back burner. This year let’s try something a little different. Make a promise to put yourself first. You cannot pour from an empty cup.
Remember your health is your number one gift to those you love.
This month make the commitment to average 10,000 steps per day. Trust me this is easier than you may think.
The Importance of NEAT
When life gets busy, focus in on NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis). NEAT is the energy we use for everyday living. The higher your NEAT the more calories your body uses naturally. Even trivial activities help to increase your metabolism. NEAT could be a critical step in maintaining our body weight and/or achieving weight loss while avoiding obesity. Best part is NEAT requires no equipment and no planning. It is as simple as just moving your body a little more than before.
Ways to effortlessly achieve 10,000 steps per day:
- Park farther away. I know this one is basic, but it works.
- Choose to walk when you have the option. We used to walk to and from the bus stop most days Since, we are distant learning there is no bus at this time in our lives, so we have plan a walk or bike ride as often as possible. I have to be more mindful of my steps/movement for the day.
- If you have a sedentary job, get up and move every hour. (This is one of the things I love about my apple watch, it alerts me if I haven’t been on my feet enough during that hour.) Even if it’s just a walk around the office or house (inside or outside, doesn’t matter).
- Turn music on and dance. My girls and I love dance parties. Dance or move for a full song every hour. If you have kids GoNoodle is a great app/website for having fun and moving around.
- Clean the house. I know not always fun, but cleaning is a great way to get moving. During the holiday time people tend to stop by so having a clean house is helpful both for your health and sanity. You could even turn some music on and have a dance party while cleaning. Double the fun.
- There is no such thing as too short a workout. Five minutes here and there can really add up. We have a Peloton at home and when I feel my activity level has been low for the day I will get in quick 5-10 workout. I always feel better after getting my heart rate up. I have a ton of 4-5 minute workouts on my YouTube channel. Turn those on whenever you need to move.
- No equipment, no problem. Body weight squats can be done anytime, any place. Marching in place is a great alternative when you don’t have a lot of space. Seriously, the possibilities are endless.
- As always, head on over to my YouTube channel to add in more steps quickly and easily. I have so many videos to choose from to help you achieve your step goal each and everyday. You don’t even have to leave your house.
- Tabata 4 Minute Workouts, Cardio Workouts
Moral of the story
There is no wrong way to get active. Choose your favorite and get moving.
Remember you don’t need to achieve 10,000 steps each day, simply commit to AVERAGING 10,000 steps per day. If you have a low day, strive to have a higher day the following day. It’s really that simple. Don’t over complicate things. Don’t over think this whole health and fitness journey.
Add in 3 days of strengthening exercising, such as Pure Barre, pilates, weight lifting, HIIT, circuit training, etc. Find what you love and just do it.
My YouTube channel has some amazing strength training videos. You can choose which body part you want to work and your timeframe. Make it work for you. Remember fitness shouldn’t be about what you cannot do, but simply about what you CAN do. Every workout counts, even if it’s only for a few minutes.
How to Earn an Entry into the Giveaway:
- Complete any one of my YouTube videos and leave the comment, December 2020, below the video. = 1 entry per video
- Tag me on instagram @reneefitformotherhood in a picture showing your dedication to this move challenge. (Examples include, a picture of your step counter, a picture of you getting movement in throughout your day, a picture of you doing one of my videos, sharing my YouTube channel, etc.) = 1 entry per post
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel and receive 10 extra bonus entries. (Make sure to leave a comment “subscriber” below any of my videos to let me know you have subscribed or were already subscribed to my channel. = 10 entries for simply being a subscriber
Let’s end 2020 strong and healthy. We all need to remember to always take time for ourselves, we are worth it.