1 1/2 cups marinara sauce
1 large egg white or 1 egg
3 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground pepper
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 oz. part-skim mozzarella, shredded (1/2 cup)*
8 oz. spaghetti, cooked according to package directions
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a shallow bowl or pie plate, beat egg white. In another one, combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Dip each chicken in egg white, then coat with breadcrumb mixture.
- In a large nonstick skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken and cook, turning once, until golden on both sides (approximately 3-4 minutes per side). Transfer chicken into a greased glass baking dish. Spoon about 3 tbsp. marinara sauce over each chicken breast, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese, and bake in the oven until chicken is cooked through and cheese is melted, 10-12 minutes.
- Turn on broiler and broiler until cheese is lightly brown, about 1-2 minutes (before not to burn the cheese).
- Divide cooked spaghetti evenly among four plates, top with extra sauce and serve with chicken.
Makes 4 servings.
Approximate Macro Breakdown – Each serving (includes pasta): 548 calories, 17 grams fat, 44 grams protein, 53 grams carbs.
*can use less cheese, this would lower the fat content of the meal
Restaurant chicken parmesan has about 1,000 calories. This is so much healthier for us and tastes just as delicious, we think even better.
I love making recipes healthier and I actually prefer this version over the restaurant one. Give it a try and let me know what you think.