December is a busy month for many of us. Unfortunately, this is the time we tend to put our exercise and health on the back burner. This year let’s try something a little different. Make the promise to put yourself first.
Remember your health is your number one gift to those you love.
This month make the commitment to average 10,000 steps per day. Trust me this is easier than you may think.
The Importance of NEAT
When life gets busy, focus in on NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis). NEAT is the energy we use for everyday living. The higher your NEAT the more calories your body uses naturally. Even trivial activities help to increase your metabolism. NEAT could be a critical step in maintaining our body weight and/or achieving weight loss while avoiding obesity. Best part is NEAT requires no equipment and no planning. It is as simple as just moving your body a little more than before.
Ways to effortlessly achieve 10,000 steps per day:
- Park farther away. I know this one is basic, but it works.
- Choose to walk when you have the option. We walk to and from the bus stop most days. It is a great way to get fresh air and extra steps.
- If you have a sedentary job, get up and move every hour. Even if it’s just a walk around the office or house (inside or outside, doesn’t matter).
- Turn music on and dance. My girls and I love dance parties. Dance or move for a full song every hour.
- Clean the house. I know not always fun, but cleaning is a great way to get moving. During the holiday time people tend to stop by so having a clean house is helpful both for your health and sanity. You could even turn some music on and have a dance party while cleaning. Double the fun.
- There is no such thing as too short a workout. Five minutes here and there can really add up. We have a Peloton at home and when I feel my activity level has been low for the day I will get in quick 5-10 workout. I always feel better after getting my heart rate up.
- No equipment, no problem. Body weight squats can be done anytime, any place. Marching in place is a great alternative when you don’t have a lot of space. Seriously, the possibilities are endless.
Moral of the story
There is no wrong way to get active. Choose your favorite and get moving.
Remember you don’t need to achieve 10,000 steps each day, simply commit to AVERAGING 10,000 steps per day. If you have a low day, then have a higher day the next. It’s really that simple. Don’t over complicate things.
Add in 3 days of strengthening exercising, such as Pure Barre, weight lifting, HIIT, circuit training, etc. Find what you love and just do it.